By Copywriter Dena Molen
An Elevator Speech is a very short, direct message about the “why” surrounding you and your product. It communicates in a concise manner the benefits (not features) of your product and WHY YOU believe in it. It may help to think of it as a “commercial.” The “Elevator” term comes into play because the pitch usually lasts no more 30 seconds — the time it would take you to ride from the top to bottom of a building in an elevator.
To develop your own Elevator Speech, focus on these elements:
- Define Your Goal: Do you want to tell others about a specific product that you’ve had success with? Do you want to share the opportunity available with Reliv? Or do you simply want someone to visit your personal website?
- Offer A Solution: Concentrate on solving a problem. How can you help someone?
- Products: Improve health, increase energy, promote wellness and exercise
- Opportunity: Work from home, supplement income, financial freedom
- Answer the “Why”:
- Why do you want to share the benefits of a specific product? Because you want others to experience the health boost that you felt after taking the product for just one month?
- Why do you want others to know about Reliv? Because it’s afforded you the ability to stay home with your kids, at the same time, make a substantial financial contribution to your household?
- Why do you want someone to check out your website? Because you believe the Fit3 program can change his/her life?
Now it’s time to put it all together. Here’s an example:
You’re at your child’s parent teacher conference, and you’re sitting next to Stephanie, another parent from your child’s classroom. After chatting about mutual parenting concerns, she asks you if you’re a stay at home mom or if you work outside the home.
“I do both. Luckily, I found a business opportunity that pays me generously for simply connecting others to health and wellness products. As a mother, I’m very particular about product ingredients, but this company — Reliv — has been a leader in the nutrition industry for 30 years, and they produce only the safest, purest, most effective products. Best of all, I get to go on all the field trips with my kids while they’re still young.”
See how this answer addressed both the business opportunity and product quality that Reliv offers? In this scenario, the “WHY” is the fact that the Reliv lifestyle supports a flexible work schedule…and that’s important to parents with young children!
So…what’s your “WHY” for believing in Reliv? If you need some ideas to help put it into words, check out these pages on our website (About Us, Core Values, Nutrition You Can Trust). It should help you create your own elevator speech to use the next time someone asks that broad question: “What do you do?”