By Social Media Coordinator Michaela Bukaty
Happy Fall! Reliv in St. Louis is experiencing the first few days of actual fall weather and to say that I’m excited is an understatement. The best parts of fall are the fruits and vegetables! I prefer to eat produce that is in season to keep grocery prices down and to really embrace the season. Some of my favorites include sweet potatoes, cauliflower, apples and so many more. There are also many health benefits that come from fall produce, making them an attractive option.
Here are some of my top fall fruits and vegetables:
- Apples: A fall staple, apples are a true delight! Apples are good as a snack, used in salads, baked for a yummy dessert or even fresh pressed for a healthier apple cider for making a Reliv smoothie (see the recipe on Instagram). Each serving contains antioxidants and 4g of fiber. We recommend pairing an apple with a healthy fat or protein for a snack that fuels your body and keeps you satisfied longer.
- Pears: Pears have always seemed like a fancier apple to me, and are great for dressing up a salad. Your dinner parties will be instantly upgraded if you add poached or baked pears to the menu. Pears are a great source of Vitamin C and contain 4g of fiber.
- Cauliflower: This trendy vegetable is used in everything these days—from pizza crust to mashed potato alternatives. It is one of the most versatile veggies that is a great carb alternative. You can use it in a soup instead of rice or serve it up in a veggie tray. Cauliflower is known for its Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
- Sweet Potatoes: More nutrient-rich than regular ole potatoes, sweet potatoes are great mashed, roasted, baked as fries and make delicious Thanksgiving staples. They have anti-inflammatory benefits, which I need along with my Reliv Arthaffect® during colder months because my joints get swollen and inflamed! Sweet potatoes are also an excellent source of Vitamin A.
- Pumpkin: I saved the best for last. You cannot celebrate fall without having pumpkin in your diet! It’s the perfect texture for pies, puddings and Reliv shakes! You can add spices to get the perfect Reliv version of a pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice latte shake. Pumpkin has 3g of fiber per serving as well as Vitamin C and beta-carotene.
Take advantage of this flavorful time of the year to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. Enjoy!