By Social Media Coordinator Michaela Bukaty
I don’t know about you, but we are feeling the peak of winter here in St. Louis at Reliv Corporate! It is so cold and my desire for warm veggie soups is more prominent now than ever. As I’ve mentioned before, I love to shop seasonally for my produce. Buying what’s in season ensures that you are getting fresh and delicious produce. The USDA even has lists of seasonal produce to help guide your next trip to the grocery store!
Here’s my favorite winter produce and their health benefits:
- Bananas: Bananas are by far my favorite fruit. They are rich in potassium and fiber and add healthy carbohydrates to your healthy diet. Bananas are the perfect addition to any Reliv shake!
- Cabbage: As odd as it may sound, cabbage is one of the best foods for you. It has an abundance of Vitamin C, which is perfect for cold season. It is also rich in fiber and Vitamin K. Cabbage makes a great addition to any soup, especially vegetable soups.
- Citrus: Citrus fruits such as grapefruit, oranges, lemons, limes, etc. are famously in-season during winter months. They are high in fiber, Vitamin C and flavonoids. These can be used in your Reliv shake or as a healthy snack.
- Kale: Kale is a trendy food for a reason. With zero fat and high fiber content, this superfood should be a staple in your kitchen. Kale’s benefits are endless and we love to sneak in a cup or two with our Reliv shakes!
- Winter Squash: Squash is tasty in almost any recipe and adds warmth to your vegetable-based meals. Spaghetti squash is a great carb-alternative when making spaghetti. Acorn and butternut squash also make great side dishes roasted or mashed. Winter squash contain many vitamins and nutrients including Vitamin A, Vitamin C and magnesium.
Add some seasonal flavors to your menu with these winter produce! Share with us on Facebook your favorite recipes.