We often take for granted just how much our hearts do for us. Pumping blood to our entire body and getting rid of its waste, our hearts have earned the right to be treated like royalty. Heart disease remains the leading cause of death in America. Regardless of genetics, family history or previous lifestyle habits, the fact is that heart disease is in no way inevitable. In recognition of American Heart Month, celebrate all that your heart does for you by implementing these healthy tips into your daily routine.
Create your own heart-healthy diet
Forgo the hundreds of diets that tell you what you can and can’t eat to be healthy; create your own! Your heart isn’t too picky in what it can benefit from, so choose for yourself what you want to implement into your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables naturally help prevent cardiovascular disease, so feel free to snack away on whatever your heart desires, literally. Also try incorporating fruits and vegetables into a main portion of your dishes, such as vegetable stir fry or a fresh salad with plenty of fruit.
- Whole grains help regulate blood pressure. Throw grains like flaxseed into foods like yogurt, applesauce and hot cereal to spice up the texture and gain valuable nutrients.
- Commit to low-fat protein sources. Look to lean meat, poultry and fish as alternatives to fattier foods. Legumes such as beans, peas and lentils also serve as a great source of protein in your diet.
- Limit your sodium intake. Healthy adults only need a total of one teaspoon of sodium a day to reach the recommended maximum intake. Avoid using canned food and use fresh food as much as possible.
- Supplement your diet with Reliv products. Reliv helps fill in the nutritional gaps with optimal levels of soy protein, lunasin and other heart-healthy nutrients.
Make time for exercise, no matter how small
Committing to exercise is a daunting task. The struggle to get in shape can easily become overwhelming, but don’t let it be. Start slow and build your way up the ladder to your best health.
- Set aside 30 minutes every day for a workout. Whether you choose to go for a hike or opt for a rigorous at-home workout, the most important thing is to get moving. Stretch before and after every activity. Stretching is vital in preventing injury during exercise and improves your flexibility at the same time. Taking a moment to relax and breathe can also give you a short break in the day allowing you to focus and recharge.
- The endorphins you release while exercising are scientifically proven to boost your mood. Working out is shown to automatically lower stress and increase overall happiness. You’re only one workout away from a better day!
Make realistic goals and strategies that you can achieve
We’re all human. Cut yourself a break and get heart healthy at your own pace.
- Start slow. Nobody can build a mountain in one day, one week or even one month. Making little changes in your diet and exercise regimen are still changes and will have a positive impact on your overall health.
- Treat yourself on occasion. Cravings can be overwhelming if not satisfied and lead to binges and setbacks. Allow yourself to fulfill your cravings when necessary, but don’t let it become an excuse to repeat frequently. Remember as long as you choose to be healthy most of the time, you are on the right track.
- Make a plan. Create daily menus for you and your family to test out and have fun with and schedule a time to work out every day. Implement the buddy system with a family member or friend in order to stay accountable and get healthy together.
A Note from Dr. Carl: A little effort goes a long way
The heart is linked to the soul for a reason: we couldn’t be happy or healthy without it! It demands consistent care in order to do its job the right way, and it all starts with you and the small wins you achieve along the way.
The pressure of the New Year brings many of us hopes and dreams of a fit new lifestyle. It’s never that easy. But it is easy to become overwhelmed by these expectations that can soon drown you in guilt and, eventually, defeat. Remember that health is a goal to reach every day, not all at once. Reliv helps you with unmatched nutritional formulas targeted towards your heart health.
LunaRich from Reliv optimizes the lunasin soy peptide like nothing else available today. Studies show that lunasin helps promote heart-healthy cholesterol levels in two ways:
- Selectively disrupts a step in the production of an enzyme key to cholesterol synthesis in the liver.
- Increases the number of receptors available in liver cells to clear LDL cholesterol from the bloodstream.
Reliv’s exclusive LunaRich manufacturing process delivers maximum levels of bioactive lunasin for maximum results. ,Reliv’s CardioSentials® has also been scientifically proven to promote heart health. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, participants taking CardioSentials significantly reduced total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides, as well as increased HDL (good) cholesterol and lowered blood glucose levels.With the many temptations of daily life, staying motivated to live a healthy lifestyle is not an easy feat. But with Reliv better heart health is just a small amount of effort away. Take a step on your journey to a healthy heart with Reliv.
To your health,
Dr. Carl Hastings
Reliv Vice Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer