Just in time for fall apple picking season, check out this yummy and healthier apple pie adapted from That’s Fit. Try it and let us know what you think!
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup Relivables® All-Natural Sweetener
- 2 teaspoons GlucAffect®
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- 2. Combine the apples, jicama, Relivables® All-Natural Sweetener, GlucAffect®, nutmeg and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Mix well to coat the fruit and put aside until crust is ready.
- 3. To make the crust, combine the pastry flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is soft and crumbly. Add water until mixture forms a ball.
- 4. Divide in half and shape into a ball. Roll dough on a floured surface. Line pie plate with half the dough.
- 5. Fill pie plate with the apple mixture.
- 6. Cover with the second crust. Cut slits in the top and brush with egg whites if desired.
- 7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 F and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes or until the apples are soft.