1. Hydrate. Hydrate properly throughout the day — if you’re thirsty, you may already be dehydrated! When you sweat, your body loses important electrolytes. Add the sizzling summer heat and you’re at serious risk for dehydration. After a workout, water alone probably won’t meet your needs. Instead, reach for an isotonic sports drink (like Innergize!®) with at least 50mg sodium and 30mg potassium per serving as well as a carbohydrate such as fructose to boost energy production.
2. Plan Ahead. Heading out for a long run at noon on the hottest day of the year isn’t smart. Instead, plan your workouts around the sun — head out in the morning or evening when the sun is the weakest. Make the best of a rainy day and enjoy a refreshing jog. If you do workout during peak sun time on a clear day, avoid reflective surfaces like sand that will attract reflect UV rays.
3. Protect. When planning your summer workout, don’t forget about the largest organ of your body — your skin. Suntans are so last year! Now, proper skin protection is all the rage. When you head outside, use a sweat proof sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
4. Dress-Up. Jogging in sweat-soaked cotton clothing can make even a leisurely jog feel like boot camp. Avoid this pitfall by donning moisture wicking workout gear that pulls sweat away from your skin. Dark colors will protect you from harmful UV rays, and don’t forget to protect your scalp with a hat! Team Reliv sport shirts and runner’s caps are perfect hot weather options available in Reliv’s Company Store.
5. Avoid Heat Stroke. Here are some signs to look for:
- ● Hot, flushed skin and a lack of sweat
- ● Headache
- ● Disorientation
- ● Trouble breathing
Follow these tips and you won’t melt like a popsicle in the sun this summer!