With typical flu season knocking on our door, and swine flu cases swarming already, it’s time to go into defensive mode to protect you and your family.External flu defenses:
- 1. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water. Carry alcohol-based sanitizer with you and use it after touching shopping carts and doors.
- 2. Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth — all pathways for viruses to enter your bloodstream.
- 3. Avoid crowds where viruses are easily passed through the air and on touched objects.
- 4. Get consistent, moderate exercise, which boosts the immune system and pumps more virus-killing immune cells throughout your body.
- 5. Get plenty of sleep to keep your immune defenses at their peak and to maximize the effects of the flu vaccine.
Internal flu defenses:
Shore up your body’s defenses through a healthy diet of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, combined with high-quality supplementation that includes the following:
1. Probiotics. These promote a healthy flora in your digestive tract as well as stimulate the immune system to help your body protect itself against colds and winter infections.
2. Vitamin A. The “anti-infective” vitamin enhances the activity of white blood cells against viruses and bacteria.
3. Vitamin B complex. Increases antibody response to maintain your body’s ability to destroy bacteria.
4. Vitamin C. Antioxidant that protects against infection and enhances immunity by increasing the production of white blood cells. It also raises levels of interferon, the antibody that prevents the entry of viruses.
5. Vitamin D. Kicks in gear an army of our body’s natural antibiotics that destroy invading microorganisms. These anti-microbials have antiviral activity and have been shown to inactivate the influenza virus. The cells lining the respiratory tract also secrete these natural antibiotics to protect the lungs from infection.
6. Vitamin E. Enhances production of immune cells that fight infections. Research shows that people who eat vitamin E rich foods tend to have a higher immunity.
7. Selenium. Getting enough of this phytonutrient may be beneficial in containing viral epidemics because of its ability to enhance immunity to infection, prevent the spread of the virus, and build a healthier response to infection or severe inflammation.
8. Omega-3 fatty acids. Research shows that essential fatty acids can boost immune function to help fight infection, illness and disease by increasing the activity of the white blood cells that eat up bacteria. These fats also help strengthen cell membranes, thereby speeding up healing and strengthening resistance to infection.
9. Zinc. Helps to prevent a weakened immune system and has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of colds. Studies have shown that a zinc deficiency can decrease the number of bacteria-fighting white blood cells and platelets.
For a simple way to ensure you’re receiving optimal nutrients to stay healthy, turn to Reliv nutritional products. Daily shakes with Reliv Now® or Reliv Classic®, combined with FibRestore®, provide essential vitamins, minerals and herbs — including those listed above — to keep you healthier through every season.