Is your resolve dissolving? Now that you’re a month into the New Year, it may be time for a resolution pep-talk.First, if you’ve resolved to lose weight this year, don’t give up! A 2002 study in the Journal of Clinical Psychology says people who made New Year’s resolutions had higher rates of success with their goal than those who didn’t make resolutions. So just by making a resolution, you’ve already taken the first step!
Then after six months, 46 percent of those resolution makers were successful compared to just 4 percent of the people who didn’t make resolutions.
So how can you stick with it? Here are eight great tips to help you stay motivated while you slim down:
1. Seek out new low-calorie snacks and drinks to keep your taste buds satisfied. Make it a fun mission to sample unusual fruits or prepare vegetables in a new way.
2. Schedule exercise times on your calendar. Note what you did and for how long. At the end of the month, take a look back and either celebrate your accomplishments or vow to do better next month!
3. Find a fitness buddy. Whether human or four-legged, having a partner to exercise with keeps you more consistent and accountable — and lively conversation or just quiet company makes long walks more enjoyable.
4. Keep a food diary. Tracking every bite will make you more aware of what you’re putting in your mouth — and if it’s worth it. After a month, look back through your diary to see how far you’ve come! You can download and print your own “No-Cheat Sheet” diary at slimplicity.com.
5. Set small goals. If you want to lose a lot of weight, start with the first 10 pounds so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Breaking weight loss into smaller bites makes it easier to stick with it.
6. Celebrate victories. As you work toward your goal weight, celebrate every 5 or 10 pounds (although not with food treats!). You deserve the royal treatment!
7. Make it musical. Music can help you exercise longer and more vigorously. Plus it makes it more fun.
8. Mix it up. Change the music you listen to when you exercise. Walk a new route. Ramp up your walk to a jog. Ride a bike. Try a new fitness class. Boogie while you vacuum and mop!
To give you an edge in your weight loss efforts, partner up with the Reliv Slimplicity® Weight Loss System. Accelerator capsules give you an appetite-squelching advantage. Combined with a delicious meal replacement shake, online support, a pedometer and an exercise and food journal, this system will reinforce your resolve to help you whittle your middle in no time!