- • Helps lower cholesterol levels by inhibiting cholesterol production and binding with cholesterol, leaving less to build up on artery walls. According to the American Heart Association, a diet rich in soluble fiber can reduce serum cholesterol and lead to a significant decrease in the risk for cardiovascular disease.
- • Helps improve blood glucose control and improves the body’s use of insulin by slowing the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. This in turn decreases the rapid rise of blood sugars after meals.
- • Acts as a bulking agent to speed transit time in the colon, reducing constipation, diverticulosis and the risk of colon cancer and other intestinal diseases.
- • Supports the growth of “good-guy” bacteria in the colon that keep toxin-producing “bad-guy” bacteria in check.
- • Enhances weight loss by improving satiety, and blocking the absorption of calories.
Fiber-rich foods include fruits, such as pears, figs and berries; vegetables, such as peas, Brussels sprouts and greens; whole grain breads, cereals and pasta; legumes, nuts and seeds, such as lentils, black beans and almonds.
Reliv’s FibRestore®, a fiber-rich antioxidant supplement, provides 10 grams of dietary fiber (both soluble and insoluble) per serving.