Typically, American adults average 3,000 – 5,000 steps per day. Increasing steps (walking more) helps increase energy, reduce stress and improve weight management.One component of the Reliv Slimplicity System is the “Step-by-Step” Walking Program which challenges you to increase your exercise and enhance your weight loss effort by taking 10,000 steps each day. Just how far is 10,000 steps? Based on an average adult stride of 2 1/2 feet, 10,000 steps equals about 5 miles. As you begin your program, remember to start slowly. Wear a pedometer for two weeks to find out your average daily “baseline.” Then, each week, set a goal to increase your daily steps by 500.
Get creative as you look for ways to add steps to your day. To get you started, here are a few simple suggestions:
• Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend after dinner
• Walk the dog – he’ll love it!
• Use stairs rather than elevators whenever possible
• Park further away from the store, or better yet, walk to the store
• Go window shopping
• Explore the parks in your city or neighborhood
• Take an activity break at work — walk around the parking lot or building
• Walk over to visit a neighbor
• Walk around the field while your child is at sports practice
• Walk across your office to personally deliver a message rather than call or e-mail
You’ll be amazed at the number of steps you’re adding by just incorporating some of these simple practices into your daily routine.
1. Figure out your average daily “baseline” (number of steps) using the pedometer included in your Slimplicity Starter Kit
2. Add steps gradually – we recommend an increase of 500 steps per week
3. Work your way up to 10,000 steps daily
4. Watch the weight come off by combining all elements of the Slimplicity System, including the “Step-by-Step” Walking Program which helps you meet the system’s exercise recommendations!