Weight is a heavy issue for most of us, considering two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Recognizing that tight waistbands are uncomfortable, 71 million Americans were on a diet in 2005, based on a MarketData Enterprises report. But diets are hard. Counting every calorie. Plummeting energy. Feeling deprived. It’s no wonder most people are diet drop-outs.
Dietitians and doctors tell us the best way to lose weight is by cutting calories and exercise. But the ever-expanding waistlines in the U.S. are proof that the traditional less food/more exercise approach isn’t working for most of us — because we don’t stick with it. Americans are still looking for an easier, more effective way to lose weight and keep it off. While the weight loss benefits of some dietary supplements are often ignored or attacked by mainstream medicine, there is proof some dietary supplements and ingredients do indeed help people lose weight safely.
Studies Support Shakes’ Benefits
Meal replacement shakes are a good option for successful weight loss. An Australian study in the Journal of Nutrition found meal replacement shakes are equally effective for losing weight compared with conventional, structured weight loss diets. Yet the people in the study using the shakes were more favorable about dieting and the convenience of the shakes than those on the conventional diet. And we all know we’re more likely to stick with a weight loss plan if it’s easy and convenient. Grabbing a quick shake for lunch is much easier than chopping up 10 vegetables to mix with a thimbleful of dressing. Plus meal replacement shakes take away the guesswork by controlling calories.
In addition, a German study found those who followed a meal replacement plan lost five times as much weight after three months than those who followed a diet of conventional foods.
Even more striking, research shows once people lose weight, they can maintain it for years simply by substituting a meal replacement shake for one meal on most days. A study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found women who lost weight on a reduced-calorie plan that included meal replacement shakes maintained their weight loss after a year by drinking at least one shake a day in place of a regular meal. By contrast, those in the study who lost weight on a conventional low-fat diet with no meal replacement shakes regained most of their weight after a year.
Science Proves Ingredients Work
When it comes to weight loss, science is showing there are ideal ingredient combinations that work synergistically for maximum effect. For example, a recent study in the International Journal of Obesity showed a combination of catechins (found in green tea), caffeine, capsaicin and tyrosine boosted heat generation and energy expenditure — that’s metabolism and fat burning — without raising blood pressure or heart rate.
Other examples of weight-loss ingredients proven effective include:
• Whole soy. In addition to being filling, soy protein has been linked with greater weight and fat loss than lifestyle counseling alone, according to German researchers.
• Advantra Z® (bitter orange). Researchers at St. Cloud University and University of Colorado found no increases in blood pressure or heart rate in subjects taking a combination of bitter orange and caffeine. Yet they did find increased burning of body fat. Numerous clinical trials have found bitter orange reduces weight and fat as it increases metabolism.
• Green tea. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported green tea extract resulted in a significant increase in metabolism, which can help weight loss.
• Conjugated linolic acid (CLA). Studies in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Nutrition found that CLA reduces body fat, increases lean muscle mass and is helpful in maintaining weight loss. A study at the University of Wisconsin suggests CLA may serve a critical role in reducing common weight and fat gain that occurs with age.
• 7-Keto® (7-oxo-DHEA). Backed by clinical studies, 7-Keto is shown to safely boost metabolism without stimulants to burn fat and promote weight loss. In one study, those taking 7-Keto showed significantly increased weight loss and three times more fat reduction than those taking a placebo. It also boosts the resting metabolic rate normally associated with dieting.
• NeOpuntia® (prickly pear cactus). Prickly pear cactus began as a Mexican folk remedy for weight loss. Now it’s backed by studies that show that NeOpuntia, the prickly pear fiber extract, attracts fat and binds to it — essentially blocking fat — and speeds it out of the body. A pilot study showed the quantity of fat excreted compared to the quantity ingested increased 27.4 percent when taking Neopuntia vs. a placebo.
A Simple Plan with Proven Ingredients
All of these powerful ingredients can be found in Reliv’s Slimplicity® Weight Loss System meal replacement shakes and/or Accelerator capsules. They curb appetite, burn and block fat, and boost metabolism to support your weight loss efforts.
Used in combination with smarter eating habits and a more active lifestyle, the proven ingredients in Slimplicity may just give you the edge you need to finally lose weight and keep it off.